Indiana Foster Care Donation Tax Credit
This is an exciting opportunity for The Villages children and families and our community!
In 2021 the Indiana General Assembly adopted the Foster Care Donation Tax Credit for Indiana taxpayers that have a state tax liability and qualifying foster care agencies. This credit allows Indiana residents and businesses to claim a credit on their Indiana tax return, for approved donations made to The Villages of Indiana. The maximum amount of credit that can be granted is 50% of the donation, up to $10,000 in a tax year.
DOR: Foster Care Donation Tax Credit – Includes up-to-date information on remaining credits.
- Be an Individual or Corporation who pays Indiana taxes and has a state tax liability.
- Make a donation to a qualified organization, i.e. The Villages of Indiana.
- Claim the credit in the same taxable year that the monetary donation was made.
Step by Step Process to Claim Credit:
- Make a monetary donation to The Villages. Either online here or by mailing your contribution to The Villages of Indiana, 3833 N. Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208.
- The Villages will provide you with a tax acknowledgement/proof of donation. If you give online, you will receive this acknowledgment automatically in the email you provided. If you gave via mail/in office, your acknowledgement will be mailed to the address provided with in 5-7 business days.
- Submit your application and proof of donation from The Villages via mail OR fax, only, to the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) – contact details on application.
- The DOR will send an approval or denial letter within 45 days of receipt to the address provided on your application. If your application is approved, DOR will issue a certification number to be used when filing your income tax return.
Credit approval is on a first-in, first-out basis. When funds are no longer available, you will receive notification that your application has been denied. The Villages would like to offer our generous donors, like you, the support needed to navigate the paperwork process with the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR). If you have questions or would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please contact Sarah Cline, VP of Development & Communications SCline@villages.org.